Panchang is a Vedic astrological annual publication to which all astrologers and most Indians refer to. It follows traditional units of Hindu timekeeping and presents important dates and calculations in tabulated form. Are you getting married? Shifting to a new house? Going to start a new job or a new business? For all these to plan on an auspicious date panchang is consulted.
INCLUSIONS IN PANCHANG
Even the celestial phenomena like weather forecast, dates of the solar and lunar eclipse are mentioned in panchang. The dates of the festival of the whole year are mentioned in it. The time in the whole day which is auspicious is called Mahurat, and that is also calculated and mentioned in it for all the 365 days of a year. People can look into it and can plan their event according to it.
WORD PANCHANG AND ITS MEANING
Panchanga is a combination of two words Panch and Anga, where Pancha means five and Anga mean Parts. Panchang comprises of five elements which are known as Vaar, Tithi, Nakshatra, Yoga and Karana. All these have different meanings and are calculated according to the astrological study of the movements of stars. The meanings of these are as follows:
- Vaar- It means the seven days of the week from Saturday to Sunday.
- Tithi- It means dates. Tithis are 30 in number as dates of a month. In astrological calendar, the month is divided into two pakshas of 15 days When the moon is growing to be a full moon the duration of those days is called Shukla Paksha and the day of the full moon is called Purnima. When the moon starts decreasing in size after full moon days that duration of days are called Krishna Paksha and the day when there is no moon is called Amavas.
- Nakshatra- It is also known as constellations. There are 27 nakshatras. By calculating nakshatras the good mahurat and auspicious dates are calculated. Kundali matching is also done by calculating nakshatras.
- Yoga- There are 27 yogas each measuring 13 degrees and 27’. The first yoga is Vishkumbh, and the last one is known as Vadhriti.
- Karana- Karana is half of a Tithi. These are 11 in numbers.
Panchang not only consists of these five essential elements but also give other useful information to an astrologer. These handy books or calendars are guided to check auspicious timings for important events. Apart from printed books and calendars panchang are also available in computer and mobile software which provide information conveniently.